Naren Young’s shaken riff on the Negroni is a refreshing and lower-proof alternative to the traditional Italian cocktail. The the hard shake and pour over crushed ice results in an almost-frozen combination of bitters, gin and orange juice—an ideal aperitivo for a hot afternoon.
- 3/4 ounce gin, preferably Beefeater
- 3/4 ounce Meletti Bitter
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Martini & Rossi Gran Lusso
- 3/4 ounce orange juice
- 3 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: grated orange zest
- Combine all ingredients in shaker and shake very quickly.
- Strain over crushed ice into footed highball.
- Garnish with grated orange zest.