At Death & Co. Denver, every section of the menu starts with a no-ABV and a low-ABV option. Neon Moon is a non-alcoholic recipe, consisting of Seedlip Spice 94, a syrup made of makrut lime leaf, lemongrass and shiso, along with kefir whey and egg white, from the “Fizz” section of the current menu. “It just kind of came out of my obsession of putting dairy and weird things in the drinks,” says Alex Jump, adding, “it’s super fresh, not very heavy, and bright.”
Alex Jump, Death & Co. Denver | Denver
- 1 1/2 ounces makrut lime leaf, lemongrass and shiso syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce kefir whey
- 3/4 ounce Seedlip Spice 94
- 1 egg white
- soda water, to top
Garnish: star anise pod
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a mixing tin and dry shake without ice.
- Add ice and shake again.
- Fine strain into a fizz glass.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with a star anise pod.
Makrut Lime Leaf, Lemongrass and Shiso Syrup:
200 grams simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water)
3 grams makrut lime leaves
1 gram shiso leaves
20 grams lemongrass, smashed and chopped
Combine all ingredients in a plastic bag. Vacuum seal. Sous vide at 135 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours. Place in an ice bath then strain.