America’s love affair with the Negroni is quickly spreading to the furthest reaches of America, from the deep, dark crimson of the Kingston Negroni to perfectly clear Polka Dot Negroni. It appears at chef Paul Kahan’s newest venture, Nico Osteria, in Chicago, with bartender Matty Eggleston’s amaro-laden riff. Eggleston mixes London dry Sipsmith Gin and bittersweet Cocchi Americano (both of which he keeps chilled for an extra-icy drink), as well as herbal Amaro Braulio and sparkling mineral water.
Matty Eggleston, Nico Osteria | Chicago, IL
- 1 1/4 ounce gin (preferably Sipsmith)
- 1 1/4 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 1/2 ounce Amaro Braulio
- 3/4 ounce sparkling mineral water
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir quickly. (Stir time will depend on whether or not gin and Cocchi are chilled ahead of time.)
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.