Lodged within the bowels of a Hong Kong wet market (a place to buy everything from live poultry to vegetables), 001 is one of Hong Kong’s more recent avant-garde bars defying the city’s stereotypical vertical opulence. Sky Huo, one of 001’s bartenders, can be found behind the market and through a nondescript black door making her signature cocktail, the Nightmarcher. A riff on the Last Word combining Chinese mangosteen fruit, tequila, mezcal, yellow Chartreuse and celery bitters, it’s garnished with a piece of frozen smoked mangosteen served on a pineapple leaf.
- 1/2 ounce blanco tequila (preferably Don Julio)
- 1/2 ounce mezcal
- 1/2 ounce yellow Chartreuse
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash celery bitters
- 1 mangosteen
Garnish: Smoked, frozen mangosteen on a pineapple leaf. (Optional)
- In a mixing glass, muddle the mangosteen pods.
- Add the remaining ingredients and ice, and shake.
- Double strain over a large ice cube into a tulip glass or a snifter.
- Serve with a piece of mangosteen over a pineapple leaf.