“I wanted to make it something that felt like a cocktail, not something that was juicy and has club soda,” says Julia McKinley of her approach to non-alcoholic drinks. Rather than work from an existing cocktail template and simply remove the alcohol, McKinley starts from scratch to build something that feels complete unto itself. Here, turmeric tonic and hibiscus teas form the base of No New Friends, while lime and CBD-infused agave add sweet and sour components and aquafaba lends texture. The result is “something that has a little bitterness, a little spice and beautiful texture.”
- 1 1/2 ounces Organic Kilogram Turmeric Tea, steeped overnight
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- 1/4 ounce hibiscus tea, steeped overnight
- 1/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce aquafaba
- 100 milligrams CBD oil
Garnish: expressed lemon peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a Nick and Nora glass.
- Express the lemon peel and discard.