Part of Chantal Tseng’s “Literary Cocktails” series, Nobody Ever Dies is inspired by the Hemingway short story, in which two lovers, Maria and Enrique, briefly reunite while on the run in Cuba. “The drink is one of many riffs on the Zombie a la Don the Beachcomber,” explains Tseng. “I adore passionfruit in tropical rum cocktails and like [it as an] ingredient to compliment the suspense in Maria’s situation.”
- 1 ounce rhum agricole, preferably Neisson Rhum Agricole Blanc
- 1 ounce dark rum, preferably St. Lucian
- 1/4 ounce 151-proof aged rum
- 1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce passionfruit juice, preferably Ceres
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash absinthe
Garnish: lime shell filled with overproof rum and nutmeg, set on fire
- Combine all ingredients in a tall tiki mug over crushed ice.
- Swizzle to incorporate.
- Top with more crushed ice.
- Garnish with a lime shell filled with overproof rum and nutmeg, set on fire.