One of the ways in which Fanny Chu reinforces the escapist atmosphere of Donna is by creating cocktails that directly evoke a particular place. Her Nog Nog Noggin’ on Heaven’s Door draws on the flavor profile of Crema Catalana (“one of my faves,” she says), a custard-like Spanish dessert that she encountered while traveling through Catalonia with her fiancée. To translate it into drink form, Chu builds on a whiskey base complemented by Cognac, Cachaça, orange liqueur, cinnamon syrup, cream and eggs and serves it from Donna’s slushy machine.
Nog Nog Noggin’ on Heaven’s Door
Fanny Chu, Donna | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 large egg
- 1 ounce sugar (by volume)
- 1 ounce bourbon, preferably Medley Brothers Bourbon
- 1/2 ounce cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 1840
- 1/2 ounce Cachaça, preferably Avuá Cachaça Amburana
- 1/2 ounce orange liqueur, preferably Torres Magdala
- 1 ounce whole milk
- 1 ounce half and half
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1/2 ounce cinnamon bark syrup
Garnish: orange crescent
- Blend the egg in a Vitamix until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugar and blend until incorporated.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until combined.
- If texture is not as desired, add pebble ice and blend until desired texture is reached, or freeze overnight.
- Pour into a coupe to serve.