Replicating the bite and body of a cocktail can be difficult. At Barbuto, bar manager John Dillon turns to Scrappy’s Bitters Firewater tincture, a habanero chile tincture, to mimic the burn of alcohol in his zero-proof sour recipe. The inclusion of egg white gives the drink a fuller texture.
- 2 ounces Kentucky 74
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce brown sugar simple syrup (1:1, brown sugar to water)
- 1/2 ounce egg white
- 15 drops Scrappy’s Bitters Firewater tincture
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker and dry shake (without ice) for 30 seconds.
- Add ice and shake for 10 seconds.
- Double-strain into a coupe.