Grace Bernotavicius devised this vegan take on a hot buttered rum for Ludlow Liquors’ holiday pop-up, Christmas Sucks. Rather than using butter, Bernotavicius swaps in organic, cold-pressed coconut oil and a pinch of xantham gum to get the desired texture and richness.
Not Buttered Rum
Grace Bernotavicius, Ludlow Liquors | Chicago
- 1 ounce Venezuelan rum, preferably Santa Teresa 1796
- 1/2 ounce Jamaican rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1/2 ounce dry Jamaican rum, preferably Plantation Xaymaca Special Dry
- 1/4 ounce allspice dram, preferably St. Elizabeth
- 1 tablespoon coconut "butter" batter, see Editor's Note
- 3 ounces boiling water
- 1 pinch xantham gum
Garnish: grated nutmeg, candied orange peel
- Fill an Irish Coffee mug with hot water and let sit for 30 seconds.
- Pour out the hot water and drop in the coconut batter.
- Top with rum and allspice dram and stir.
- Top with hot water.
- Sprinkle the xantham gum and stir well to incorporate.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg and a candied orange peel.
Coconut "Butter" Batter:
1 cup coconut oil
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
In a standing mixer, combine the oil and sugar until it's the consistency of creamed butter. Stir in spices. Store at room temperature.