Travis Tober is “obsessed” with Topo Chico, the Mexican sparkling water that’s ubiquitous throughout Texas. “Its assertive bubbles and minerality are perfect for cocktails,” he says. This adaption of a Mojito made with mezcal, Key lime, mint syrup, grapefruit bitters and Topo Chico Grapefruit has heightened flavors and extra-quenching properties due to the sparkling water’s slight salinity.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal, preferably Sombra Joven
- 1/2 ounce Key lime juice
- 1/2 ounce mint syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 2 dashes Scrappy’s grapefruit bitters
- Topo Chico Grapefruit
Garnish: Texas Ruby Red or other red grapefruit slice and mint bouquet
- Combine all ingredients in a Collins glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice and mint.
6 grams dried spearmint
1 cup hot water
Make a tea from spearmint and water. Strain and add an equal amount of sugar by weight. When sugar dissolves, remove from heat and store up to two weeks in an airtight container in refrigerator.