There’s no citrus in this stirred riff on the classic Last Word created by Sother Teague at New York’s Amor y Amargo. In keeping with the bar’s aesthetic (and policy against using citrus in its drinks), it’s a deliberately spirit-forward cocktail with a bitter edge that subs lime bitters and Amaro Montenegro in place of fresh citrus.
- 3/4 ounce Old Tom gin
- 3/4 ounce Amaro Montenegro
- 3/4 ounce green Chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 2-3 dashes lime bitters, preferably Scrappy’s
Garnish: lemon peel (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Twist a lemon peel over the top of the drink to express the essential oils, then garnish the drink with the peel.