Volk sees Elijah Craig as the ultimate fall spirit, evoking the flavors of the season. For his autumnal take on the Old-Fashioned, he swaps in homemade maple-fig syrup for regular sugar to amplify the fruity warmth already present in the bourbon. He feels it’s perfect for sipping outside, perhaps around a campfire.
Andrew Volk, Portland Hunt + Alpine Club | Portland, Maine
- 2 ounces Elijah Craig Small Batch
- ½ ounce maple-fig syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: orange twist, skewered fresh fig half
- Combine ingredients in a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Add one large ice cube and stir 30 to 40 times.
- Express an orange peel over the drink and discard.
- Garnish with a skewered fresh fig half.
1 cup maple syrup
½ ounce hot water
12 fresh figs
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Pulse until figs are evenly distributed, in tiny pieces. Pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a bottle and refrigerate for up to two weeks.