“I had the pleasure of visiting Haiti and seeing some clairin production last year and have been subbing it into classics since then,” says McCray of his decision to update the Old Cuban, a modern classic from Audrey Saunders, itself an inventive spin on the Mojito. By serving it over crushed ice rather than up in a coupe, McCray finds middle ground between the presentation of the two classics.
- 1 1/2 ounces rhum agricole, preferably Boukman Rhum
- 3/4 ounces lime juice
- 1/2 ounce rich cane syrup (2:1, cane sugar: water)
- 1 teaspoon dry Curaçao
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 ounces Champagne
- Combine all ingredients in a swizzle glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a bouquet of mint.