There’s a reason for the olive in the Venetian take on the spritz; the aperitivo spread is an extension of that idea. Salty snacks—like these olives, oven-warmed at home—provoke thirst, which the combination of citrus and bubble quenches, while bitters open the appetite. Keep that in mind when pairing with the bittersweet Aperol Spritz.
A foundation of aperitivo essenziale
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups mixed olives , preferably Castelvetrano, Kalamata, and Gaeta
- 1/4 cupe extra-virgin olive oil
- orange zest, grated
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the olives and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Spread the olives evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast until just sizzling, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a small bowl to cool slightly and add the remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle the orange zest over the top, toss to combine, and serve warm.