Finding favor in our blind freezer Martini tasting was a unique specimen submitted by Orlando Franklin McCray of Brooklyn’s Nightmoves, who put together high-proof, saffron-tinged Old Raj gin, La Quintinye Extra Dry vermouth and orange bitters. The judges liked the concentration of bold flavors but thought the recipe would have benefited from higher dilution.
Yield: 1 liter
- 750 ml gin, preferably Old Raj 55% ABV
- 150 ml extra dry vermouth, preferably La Quintinye Vermouth Royal
- 100 ml filtered water
- 30 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: lemon twist, olive or caper berries.
- Combine all ingredients in a 1 liter bottle and give it a quick shake.
- Place in the freezer for at least two hours.
- To serve, pour into chilled cocktail glasses and express a lemon twist over the surface of the drink.
- Serve with olives or caper berries.