“I love working with amaro because of the immense variety within the category,” says bartender Dan Sabo, “and how much you can change a drink by subbing a small amount of one amaro for another to create something entirely different.” Named after the Band of Horses song, Our Swords is a bittersweet julep that is built on a base of Cynar. “This drink grew out of my love of the pairing of artichokes and peaches; they’re a delicious duo,” says Sabo. “I built off this like I would a culinary dish, and added some nuttiness with the sherry, some tart sweetness with Cherry Heering and fresh green flavor from mint.”
Dan Sabo | Los Angeles
- 15 mint leaves
- 1 ounce Cynar
- 3/4 ounce Giffard Crème de Peche de Vigne
- 1/2 ounce amontillado sherry
- 1/4 ounce Cherry Heering liqueur
Garnish: mint bouquet, mixed seasonal berries, powdered sugar
- Place mint leaves in a julep cup and lightly muddle to release the oils.
- Add the remaining ingredients and fill the cup three-quarters of the way with crushed ice.
- Swizzle the ingredients together with a bar spoon.
- Top with more crushed ice to create a mound.
- Garnish with a large mint bouquet and a handful of seasonal berries, such as blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
- Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve with a metal straw.