Inspired by the papaya salads regularly served in her Thai Town neighborhood, Christine Wiseman brings the brightness of the dish into a classic Daiquiri formula by way of a cordial comprised of Thai chilies, fish sauce, tomato water, sugar, lime juice, papaya and more. “This one took awhile for me to get right,” she admits, “but I needed to get the fish sauce just right because it is such a bold flavor, I didn’t want it to dominate the drink.”
- 2 ounces white Guatemalan rum, preferably Magdalena
- 1/4 ounce Chareau aloe liqueur
- 1 ounce papaya salad cordial (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1)
Garnish: nopales and edible glitter
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with nopales and edible glitter.
Papaya Salad Cordial:
750 grams palm sugar
375 grams water
750 grams lime juice
125 grams fish sauce
450 grams tomato water
125 grams peanuts
15 Thai chiles
In a sauce pan, combine the water and palm sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Transfer the mixture to a large tempered container, add in all remaining ingredients and stir. Strain out the solids, cover and store.