This Paper Plane variation plays up tropical passion fruit and grapefruit. Meanwhile, the drink name riffs on “Mango Pickle Down River”—a song from the same M.I.A. album that includes “Paper Planes,” the track that inspired Sam Ross to name his original cocktail.
- 3/4 ounce Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce Aperol
- 1/2 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 1/2 ounce passion fruit liqueur
Garnish: orange twist
- Shake all ingredients with ice.
- Double-strain into a coupe glass.
- Twist the orange peel over top of the drink to express the essential oils, then discard the peel.