Patrick Smith’s Espresso Martini recipe tied for first place in our recent blind tasting. It calls for an ounce of Tito’s vodka, a three-quarter ounce each of espresso and Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur, half an ounce Giffard Vanille de Madagascar and a quarter-ounce demerara syrup. The inclusion of the vanilla liqueur gave the drink a more fulsome, candied quality, while keeping it within an archetypal framework.
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (1:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 1/2 ounce vanilla liqueur, preferably Giffard Vanille de Madagascar
- 3/4 ounce coffee liqueur, preferably Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce espresso
- 1 ounce vodka, preferably Ketel One
Garnish: three coffee beans
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with three coffee beans.