This peanut butter and jelly-like cocktail illustrates how to use the effleurage method of fat-washing to infuse bourbon with the oil that sits on top of peanut butter. Although a recipe for making strawberry whey syrup is included below, a commercial strawberry syrup or fraise de bois liqueur (strawberry liqueur) can be substituted.
- 2 ounces peanut butter fat-washed bourbon, preferably Buffalo Trace (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce strawberry whey syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: fresh strawberry
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry.
Peanut Butter Fat-Washed Bourbon:
1 16-ounce jar of peanut butter
750ml bottle bourbon, such as Buffalo Trace
Spread the peanut butter across a large baking pan with a lip, creating a thin layer. Pour one bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon on top. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation and allow it to sit overnight at room temperature. The next day, strain the bourbon through a coffee filter and funnel it back into the bottle. Discard the peanut butter.
Strawberry Whey Syrup:
4 1/4 cups strawberries
8 1/2 cups milk
5 ounces lemon juice
white sugar, to taste (optional)
In a blender, blend together the strawberries and milk. Add in the lemon juice, then fine-strain the mixture through a superbag to clarify. Add sugar to taste and funnel into a bottle.