Broken Shaker L.A.’s Christine Wiseman employs spent espresso in a cordial inspired by Trash Tiki’s Kelsey Ramage and Iain Griffiths. “I’m always looking for ways to reuse ingredients that we use throughout the hotel,” says Wiseman. “It helps with your liquor cost on that cocktail, and it’s a win for the environment.” But beyond the anti-waste sentiment, she prefers second-use espresso in her Pebble Rebel, for its lighter, less intense coffee flavor compared to traditional grounds, which pairs with Fruity Pebbles–infused vodka, cold-brew liqueur and sunflower seed milk.
- 1 ounce Fruity Pebble-infused vodka (see Editor's Note)
- 1/2 ounce Ketel One Botanical Peach and Orange Blossom
- 1/4 ounce coffee liqueur, preferably Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur
- 1 ounce berry sunflower seed milk (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce spent espresso ground cordial (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: Fruity Pebbles
- Combine all ingredients in rocks glass over crushed ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with Fruity Pebbles.
Fruity Pebble-Infused Ketel One:
4 liters vodka, preferably Ketel One
1 box Fruity Pebbles
Infuse for 2 hours, then strain.
Spent Coffee Ground Cordial:
4 quarts water
6 quarts sugar
16 tablespoons used espresso grounds
Combine in a pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 15 minutes then strain.
Berry Sunflower Seed Milk:
4 cups sunflower seeds
16 cups water
20 teaspoons of honey
3 cup strawberries
3 cups raspberries
1 tablespoon salt
Add the sunflower seeds and water to a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Strain through a cheesecloth or coffee filter. Once strained, add the liquid back to blender with remaining ingredients and blend and strain.