At Diamond Reef, this frozen Penicillin riff is made in large batches in a Slushie machine, ideal for sipping in the expansive backyard space. This adaptation uses the blender for a similar effect. Note that the peated Scotch is not added to the blender; it’s added at the last minute over the top of the drink.
Sam Ross, Michael McIlroy and Dan Greenbaum, Diamond Reef | New York
- 2 ounces blend Scotch whisky, preferably Monkey Shoulder
- 3/4 ounce honey-ginger syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 cup ice
- peated Scotch whisky, preferably Laphroaig
Garnish: paper parasol
- In a blender, combine first four ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a footed Irish whiskey glass.
- Gently pour the peated whiskey on top of the drink.
- Serve with a straw and garnish with a paper parasol.
8 ounces honey
1 six-inch piece of ginger root
8 ounces water
Combine honey with peeled and sliced piece of ginger root with water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. Refrigerate overnight, then strain, discarding the solids.