Created for a local cocktail competition, the Perá Fortuna builds from a classic Gimlet structure, adding spiced pear liqueur, absinthe and celery bitters. “A drink I used to make all the time was a gin, lime, absinthe Collins,” recalls Richard Beltzer of the inspiration. Turning the drink into a shorter format allowed the flavors to stand out in stronger concentration, but the finishing touch came from introducing absinthe back into the equation. “I realized the drink needed more body,” explains Beltzer, “and absinthe is like a cheat code.”
Richard Beltzer, Bad Hunter | Chicago
- 1/8 ounce absinthe, preferably Germaine Robin
- 3 dashes celery bitters, preferably Fee Brothers
- 1/2 ounce pear liqueur, preferably St. George Spiced Pear
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces London dry gin, preferably London No.3
Garnish: pear wheel
- Rinse coupe with absinthe and discard.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
- Garnish with pear wheel.