“Bright, refreshing, slightly bitter; these are the hallmarks of a perfect aperitif,” explains Ryan Wainwright. Here, St-Germain forms the backbone of Wainright’s pre-dinner drink, while bitter and citrus elements complement the floral aromatics of the elderflower liqueur. “For me it is all about creating a drink that reminds me of an apothecary’s staff,” explains Wainwright, “The St-Germain being the staff and the rest being the snakes winding around it, bound to it but also creating new intrigue to complement it.”
- 3/4 ounce St-Germain
- 3/4 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Noilly Prat original
- 3/4 ounce Martini & Rossi Bitter Aperitivo
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces Champagne
- 2 ounces soda water
Garnish: orange wedge
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with cracked ice.
- Pour into a wine glass with 5 1-inch ice cubes.
- Top with soda water and Champagne.
- Garnish with an orange wedge.