In Quentin Tarantino’s 2012 antebellum film, Django Unchained, a variation of a standard tiki drink appears in the cooly vicious hands of plantation owner Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio)—never mind the fact that tiki, though created in Hollywood, was not invented until the 1930s. Here’s the original rum-soaked recipe, coconut shell, orchid and all.
- 1 1/2 ounces Puerto Rican rum
- 1/2 ounce Demerara rum
- 1/2 ounce Jamaican rum
- 1 barspoon Velvet falernum
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Pearl Diver's Mix, (see Editor's Note)
- 6 ounces crushed ice
Garnish: an orchid
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high until the consistency is uniform.
- Pour into a tiki mug (or a coconut shell) and garnish with an orchid.
Mix together 1 ounce of sweet butter, 1 ounce honey, 1 teaspoon simple syrup, 1 dash cinnamon, 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla syrup and 1/2 a teaspoon of allspice dram. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.