When Kenneth Vanhooser was making layered dive-bar shots for college kids in Nashville, he never could have imagined that experience might lead him to revive the Pousse Café. In his take on the baroque 19th-century classic, he brings together a group of both expected and surprising elements for a singular after-dinner experience.
- 1/2 ounce Calpico
- scant 1/2 ounce green Chartreuse
- scant 1/2 ounce blue Curaçao, preferably Giffard
- scant 1/2 ounce Campari
- scant 1/2 ounce Licor 43
- scant 1/2 ounce aquavit, preferably Krogstad
- 1 piece of lemon peel
Garnish: lemon twist (discarded)
- In a small decorative flute or Pousse Café glass, build the first five ingredients in order. (The ingredients will naturally layer themselves on top of or right under the previous one, depending on density.)
- Shake the aquavit with lemon peel and ice, strain into a small pitcher and layer on top.
- Express a lemon twist over the drink and discard.