This is a variation on the Horse & Cart, a drink that Fox Liquor Bar in Raleigh, has had on the menu since opening in September 2011. With similar flavors to a Moscow Mule, the addition of Aperol gives the drink a nicely balanced bitterness. In this version, bartenders John Parra and Kyle Hankin swap the Aperol for their Ferrari mix (a 50/50 combo of Fernet Branca and Campari) which makes the drink even more bitter, while still super drinkable and refreshing. This is a great gateway drink for folks who aren’t familiar with (or don’t care for) Fernet.
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce Ferrari (1:1, Fernet:Campari)
- 3/4 ounce ginger syrup
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- soda, to top
Garnish: Candied ginger on a toothpick
- In a shaker, combine vodka, Ferrari, ginger syrup, lime juice and bitters.
- Fill with ice and shake until very cold.
- Strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice.
- Top with soda, and garnish with the speared candied ginger.