A lighter, rhubarb-tinged spin on the Martinez from The Up & Up’s Matt Piacentini adds layers of bitter complexity and keeps the sweetness in check. Piacentini created this drink as part of PUNCH’s House Cocktail Hack column, spring edition.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Beefeater
- 1/2 ounce Dolin dry vermouth
- 1/2 ounce rhubarb syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- In a mixing glass, stir all ingredients with ice until chilled.
- Strain over ice into double old-fashioned glass, and garnish with an orange peel.
To make rhubarb syrup, combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, until syrup is a deep pink. Let cool, then strain out rhubarb solids. Will last about two weeks in the fridge.