A variation on the classic Horse’s Neck, this highball pairs the umami-forward flavor of shiitake mushrooms with the earthy bitterness of Suze liqueur. It all pops against a backdrop of dry, spicy Fever-Tree Ginger Ale.
- 1 1/2 ounces West 32 Reserve soju
- 1/2 ounce Suze
- 1/2 ounce shiitake mushroom syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 5 ounces Fever-Tree Ginger Ale
Garnish: rosemary sprig
- Add the first three ingredients and 2 to 3 ice cubes to a chilled Collins glass. Stir 10 times to chill.
- Fill the rest of the glass with ice.
- Top up with ginger ale.
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig.
Shiitake Mushroom Syrup
In a saucepan, bring 4 ounces water to a boil. Turn off the heat, add 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (approximately 6 mushrooms), and let sit for 15 minutes. Once the mushrooms are rehydrated, remove them, squeezing out any excess liquid. Measure or weigh the remaining liquid. Return the liquid to the saucepan with an equal amount of sugar. Whisk, over low heat, until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.