The Queen Bee, an apple brandy sour augmented with honey and Curaçao, appears in Charles H. Baker’s two-volume travelogue from 1951, The South American Gentleman’s Companion. Abigail Gullo of Seattle’s Ben Paris opts for unaged apple brandy for its aromatic, gin-like qualities, and swaps Curaçao for lemon verbena liqueur to balance the cocktail without over-sweetening it.
- 2 ounces unaged apple brandy
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon verbena liqueur, preferably Sidetrack Distillery
Garnish: curled orange peel, edible pansy
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with curled orange peel and edible pansy.