“It’s an overlooked classic, in my opinion,” says Llama Inn bar director Lynnette Marrero of this clean and uncluttered Donn Beach Daiquiri riff, first served at the original Don the Beachbomber location in Hollywood in the late 1930s or early 1940s. Though the original recipe called for Puerto Rican gold rum, Marrero prefers an older, more robust alternative.
- 1 1/2 ounces aged rum, preferably Zacapa or El Dorado
- 1/2 ounce orange juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce ginger syrup (1:1 fresh ginger juice to sugar, blended)
- 1/2 ounce honey syrup (1:1, honey:water)
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint, orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with mint and orange peel.