This bracing fernet-forward drink, created in 2015, is adapted from The Bartender’s Manifesto (Clarkson Potter, June 2022), a new book from Violet Hour proprietor Toby Maloney.
- 3/4 ounce Letherbee fernet
- 3/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce strawberry syrup (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: orange half-wheel, strawberry half
- Build all ingredients in a double Old-Fashioned glass.
- Add enough crushed ice to fill the glass about three-quarters full, and swizzle.
- Add more ice and swizzle again just briefly, to combine. Top up with more crushed ice.
- Garnish with orange half-wheel and strawberry half.
In a Mason jar or quart-size deli container, muddle 1 cup sugar with 5 to 7 strawberries (fresh or frozen, fully thawed). Add 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Let sit for about 15 minutes, enough time for the bitters to soak into the berry-sugar combination. Add 1 cup water, cover, and shake until the sugar has dissolved. Force-strain through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing on the berries with a spoon or muddler to extract as much liquid as possible. Yields approximately 1 cup. Keeps, refrigerated, for about one month.