Maiko describes her cocktail as “a very Japanese take on Ranch Water”—a Texas quencher typically made from tequila, lime juice and soda water. Her variation includes hits of shochu and rice vinegar, as well as togarashi, the savory Japanese spice mixture that features red pepper among its seven ingredients.
- 1 ounce El Tesoro blanco tequila
- 1/2 ounce Kurokame sweet potato shochu
- 1 barspoon rice vinegar
- Fever-Tree Sparkling Lime & Yuzu, to top
Garnish: togarashi salt rim (2:1, salt to togarashi)
- Mix salt and togarashi in a shallow dish. Moisten the rim of a highball glass, then dip or roll the edge of the glass to coat with the spice-salt mixture.
- Scoop ice into a prepared glass, and add the first three ingredients.
- Top up with lime-yuzu soda.