Created while working at a neighborhood restaurant, The Sycamore, the Rather Cavalier was designed to be an approachable introduction to mezcal. “At the time, we had all of these things here [on the backbar] and none of the staff knew what any of them were for so it was sort of my excuse to play with them all and educate the staff at the same time,” says Annie Williams Pierce. Here, she combines the slightly smokey, rich profile of Mezcal Vago Elote, an espadin mezcal infused with roasted corn, with pamplemousse liqueur and dry vermouth, which, in keeping with her signature style, adds a subtle vegetal note to the minimalist stirred cocktail.
- 1 1/2 ounces mezcal, preferably Mezcal Vago Elote
- 3/4 ounce pamplemousse liqueur
- 1/2 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Ransom Dry Vermouth
- 1/4 ounce citric acid solution (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass.
- Garnish with an expressed grapefruit peel.
Citric Acid Solution:
94 grams water
4 grams citric acid
2 grams malic acid
In a medium-sized container, combine all the ingredients and stir to dissolve.