Taking third place in our nonalcoholic Negroni tasting was this recipe from R&D in Philadelphia. The drink had noticeably more body than other entrants, and it displayed layered complexity that kept the judges wanting another sip. As Punch Editor-in-Chief Talia Baiocchi explained, “It has a gentian-y, root-forward botanical profile that makes it not taste artificial.”
- 1 1/2 ounces Abstinence Blood Orange aperitif
- 1/2 ounce Abstinence Cape Floral
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit honey (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: grapefruit twist
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
Combine equal parts fresh grapefruit juice and honey. Stir to incorporate. Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.