Seeking something “light and bright” for guests to enjoy on the riverside patio, Mendez came up with this juicy, high-octane cocktail. The bite of white overproof Jamaican rum and pisco are tamed by the addition of Giffard Caribbean Pineapple Liqueur and lime, while the enduring fizz of the Topo Chico ensures that the drink maintains its refreshing properties, no matter the heat index. “It drinks like a funky tropical Collins,” says Mendez.
Rebel Without Applause
Stephan Mendez, The Esquire Tavern | San Antonio, TX
- 1 ounce white overproof Jamaican rum, preferably Wray & Nephew
- 1 ounce pisco, preferably Macchu Pisco
- 3/4 ounce pineapple liqueur, preferably Giffard Caribbean Pineapple
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1 bottle ice-cold Topo Chico, half of contents poured into another container
- Combine first four ingredients in a shaker with ice and briefly shake, then strain into a mixing glass.
- Pour into a half-full bottle of Topo Chico.
- Stir and top with more Topo Chico.