This ombre drink changes from pink blush to deeper ruby at the bottom of the drink thanks to a “sink” of Campari. This is accomplished by pouring the shaken cocktail over a strategically-placed ice cube so the liquid cascades like a fountain, settling gently over the red bitter.
- 1 ounce lightly aged rum, preferably Flor de Caña 4 year
- 1 ounce aquavit, preferably Krogstad
- 3/4 ounce ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce vanilla syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1/4 ounce falernum, preferably John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum
- 1 dash wormwood bitters
- 1/2 ounce Campari
- Pour the Campari into a double rocks glass then add a 2-inch ice cube.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Slowly strain the cocktail over the ice cube so that it does not disturb the Campari.
800 grams (about 3 1/2 cups) simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
3 vanilla beans
Combine ingredients in an iSi canister. Charge it twice using N2O chargers, shaking the canister between each charge. Allow the canister to sit for 5 minutes and then vent by pushing the nozzle out quickly; place a container under the tip to catch any liquid that may be released. Unscrew the top of the canister. Once the liquid stops bubbling, strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 1 month.