Donostia’s sangria riff won’t slow the party down; this low-proof version swaps out the traditional brandy for a complex, spicy vermouth, played up with fresh ginger and cardamom.
- 18 ounces red wine, preferably tempranillo
- 6 1/2 ounces blood orange juice
- 4 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth, preferably Perruchi Gran Reserva
- 3 ounces ginger syrup(See Editor's Note)
- 1 3/4 ounces Poor Man's Kitchen cardamom syrup
Garnish: candied ginger and blood orange slices
- Stir all ingredients together, then pour over ice into a pitcher or similar container.
- Garnish with candied ginger and blood orange slices.
To make fresh ginger syrup, combine 1 cup sugar with 1/2 cup cold-pressed ginger juice. Heat just enough to melt sugar, taking care not to let it come to a boil. Let cool.