An “upside-down” version of the classic, utilizing Miró Rojo, a very dry, Italian-style vermouth, with Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Rye, to provide extra backbone. Both Angostura and Bogart’s bitters are used, in an effort to recreate the original Boker’s Bitters, called for in the earliest recipes, says Jim Kearns.
- 2 ounces vermouth, preferably Miro Rojo
- 1 ounce rye whiskey, preferably Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Rye
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 dash Bitter Truth Bogart's Bitters
Garnish: orange twist, brandied cherries
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a Nick and Nora glass.
- Garnish with orange twist and brandied cherries.