Many bartenders were excited by the arrival of Bulleit Bourbon on the market, Jon Santer included. He created this simple spin on a Manhattan in 2004 when working at Bruno’s in San Francisco, and later took the drink to Bourbon & Branch. There, the theatrics of the flamed orange twist caused customers to order it again and again, making the drink famous in quick order.
- 2 ounces bourbon, preferably Bulleit
- 1/2 ounce coffee liqueur
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: flamed orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a flamed orange twist.