Bartender Rob Jones turns up the volume on the classic Hot Buttered Rum, swapping in hot cider in place of hot water, pairing it with his sweet-and-savory batter.
- 1 ounce overproof rum
- 3 to 4 ounces batter, or to taste (see Editor’s Note)
- 4 to 5 ounces hot cider, to top
Garnish: cinnamon stick or clove-studded apple slice
- n a mug that has been tempered with hot water, add 3 to 4 ounces of batter, based on your palate.
- Add 1 ounce of overproof rum, top with hot cider and stir slightly to incorporate.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick or clove-studded apple slice.
Servings: 4 to 6
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
Add all ingredients to a stand mixer or mixing bowl, and combine until everything is evenly incorporated. Store covered in the refrigerator. (Adjust sugar if using sweeter hot cider in the drink build.)