A riff on a riff, the Rolled Gold is almost a Negroni Sbagliato—a Negroni whose gin base has been swapped for prosecco—with tart sparkling grapefruit soda, instead of bubbly, forming the body of this cooler-cum-spritz. Douglas Derrick, a bartender in Portland, OR, and lover of the Negroni, created this drink as an afternoon alternative to the strong classic. Traditional sweet vermouth is replaced with local Oregon vermouth from Hammer & Tongs that is lighter than a classic Italian vermouth, but not light enough to be a bianco. Bitter stalwart Campari continues to play the bitter role, while grapefruit soda lengthens the drink, lowering its overall ABV.
- 1 1/2 ounces Hammer and Tongs Sac'Resine vermouth
- 1 ounce Campari
- 3 ounces grapefruit soda (preferably San Pellegrino San Pompelmo)
Garnish: cilantro sprigs and a grapefruit peel
- Add vermouth and Campari to a rocks glass.
- Add ice and then top with grapefruit soda.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs and a grapefruit peel.