When she was running the Northern European–inspired program at Vandaag in New York’s East Village (the restaurant closed in 2012), Katie Stipe used infusions to expand upon the small selection of aquavits that were available in the United States at the time. “I did a lot of house infusing to provide more flavor profile options to expand on for seasonal recipes.” Her Rolling Orange combines cacao nib- and chicory-infused aquavit with reposado tequila, moscatel sherry, Amaro CioCiaro and a dash of orange bitters. The drink was served up in a coupe, unadorned.
- 1 1/2 ounces chicory- and cacao nib-infused aquavit
- 1/2 ounce reposado tequila
- 3/4 ounce sherry, preferably Lustau Emilín moscatel sherry
- 1/4 ounce Amaro CioCiaro
- Combine all ingredients in a a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe.
Chicory- and Cacao Nib-Infused Aquavit
Infuse 1/2 cup of cacao nibs in aquavit for at least 24 hours and no more than three days. Simultaneously or separately, infuse 1/4 cup chicory for one to three hours. Filter through a coffee filter to remove solids.