Michael McIlroy’s Rome With a View falls somewhere between an afternoon appropriate Collins and an Americano. Where an Americano is built with bitter Italian Campari and sweet vermouth, McIlroy swaps in dry vermouth, and, like a Collins, he built it with the refreshing structure of spirit-citrus-sweetener-soda. Low-alcohol and bracingly bittersweet, it nearly conjures warm afternoons looking out over an ancient Italian city.
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce dry vermouth
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- soda water
Garnish: orange wheel
- Add Campari, dry vermouth, lime juice and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a Collins glass.
- Top with soda water and garnish with an orange wheel.