At Laotian tiki bar Hanumanh, Al Thompson’s Romulo in Space is served in a Darth Vader or stormtrooper cookie jar, accompanied by a portable speaker playing Star Wars’ “Imperial March.”
- 8 ounces gin
- 8 ounces grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces cinnamon syrup(see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce pineapple orgeat (see Editor’s Note)
Garnish: flowers, nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in two cocktail shakers.
- Shake vigorously for 12 seconds.
- Strain into a Darth Vader or stormtrooper helmet, or another large-format vessel filled with ice.
- Garnish with flowers and nutmeg.
50 grams cinnamon sticks
32 ounces simple syrup (1:1, sugar to water)
Crush the cinnamon sticks, then add them to a pot over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the simple syrup and heat the mixture at 320°F for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 160°F. Cover the pot and let sit for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
Strain syrup into a resealable container.
1,000 grams hot water
500 grams blanched almonds
500 grams pineapple cubes
In a blender, combine the hot water and blanched almonds and blend for 30 seconds.
Strain mixture into a container and weigh.
Add the mixture to a pot, then add an equal amount of sugar by weight. Heat at 320°F until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
Add the pineapple to the almond syrup mixture, and heat for 20 minutes at 200°F while stirring intermittently.
Remove from heat and let mixture cool for 20 minutes.
Strain mixture into a sealable container.