In this equal-parts concoction, Devin Kennedy crafts a Martini by way of Spain. Spanish gin, Spanish vermouth and dry sherry are stirred together with a grapefruit peel to incorporate citrus oil throughout the cocktail rather than simply spritzing it over the surface of the drink. Perhaps more than any other cocktail, Kennedy’s Rule of Three follows his driving principle: “Let’s keep it simple.”
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Xoriguer Gin de Mahon
- 1 ounce blanc vermouth , preferably Lustau
- 1 ounce palo cortado sherry
- 1 dash pink peppercorn tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: grapefruit peel
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass.
- Garnish with grapefruit twist.
Pink Peppercorn Tincture:
Steep 10 grams of pink peppercorn in 16 ounces of a highproof neutral spirit for 24 hours. Strain out the peppercorns and pour into a dropper bottle. Will keep at room temperature indefinitely.