“The original tavern flip of rum and beer gradually evolved,” writes Martin Cate in Smuggler’s Cove. “Egg was added, then beer dropped altogether from the mix.” This is a Smuggler’s Cove adaptation of a classic, originally seen in How To Mix Drinks, or the Bon-Vivant’s Companion, that illustrates how flash blending whips up egg-based cocktails to frothy perfection.
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 ounce demerara syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 2 ounces blended aged rum
Garnish: freshly grated nutmeg
- Add the ingredients to drink mixer tin and dry flash without ice for 10 seconds.
- Fill with 12 ounces of crushed ice and 4 to 6 small “agitator” cubes.
- Flash blend and double-strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.