“Rum River Mystic is a cocktail that bridges the gap between my two interests: classics and tiki,” explains Paul McGee. This Preakness cocktail riff calls on rum in addition to the traditional rye base, as well as Bittermens Elemakule Tiki Bitters “to give it a bit of island spice.”
Rum River Mystic
Paul McGee, Lost Lake | Chicago
- 1 ounce aged rum, preferably Caña Brava 7 Year
- 1 ounce rye, preferably Pikesville Rye
- 3/4 ounce Byrrh
- 1/4 ounce Bénédictine
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 drops Bittermens Elemakule Tiki Bitters
Garnish: expressed orange peel
- Combine all ingredients except for the Elemakule Tiki Bitters in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Add the Elemakule Tiki Bitters.
- Garnish with an expressed orange peel, then discard.