According to Joaquín Simó, this drink “honors the ancient horticulturist Safr, who brought the pomegranate from the Middle East to Spain.” It echoes the flavors of the British spice trade with Scotch, Jamaican rum and chai tea.
Joaquín Simó, Pouring Ribbons | New York City
- 1 1/2 ounces Scotch, preferably Black Bottle
- 1/4 ounce overproof Demerara rum, preferably Hamilton 151
- 1/4 ounce gold rum,preferably Hamilton Gold
- 1 teaspoon house grenadine (see recipe for Pouring Ribbons' grenadine)
- 1 teaspoon chai syrup (1:1, sugar: brewed chai tea)
Garnish: sprig of mint and a curry leaf
- Add all ingredients to a julep cup.
- Fill the cup with crushed ice.
- Use a swizzle stick to combine.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a curry leaf.