Originally created for the Counting Room in Brooklyn, Maks Pazuniak brought his Salt & Ash to Jupiter Disco when he and Al Sotack opened the bar in 2016. The recipe, which combines smoky mezcal, grapefruit-infused tequila, lemon juice and several other modifiers, is itself a riff on Pazuniak’s own Improved Scotch Sling that was featured on the menu at New Orleans’ Cure as well as in the recipe collection entitled Beta Cocktails.
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit-infused tequila (see Editor’s Note)
- 3/4 ounce mezcal, preferably Del Maguey Chichicapa
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Lapsang tea-infused sweet vermouth (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 1 teaspoon cane syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 16 drops Bittermens hopped grapefruit bitters
Garnish: expressed and discarded grapefruit twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Express a grapefruit twist over the surface of the drink then discard.
Peel from 1 grapefruit
750ml bottle blanco tequila, preferably Pueblo Viejo
Combine the grapefruit peels and tequila and let steep for 16 to 24 hours, then strain out the solids.
Lapsang Tea-Infused Sweet Vermouth
2 ounces lapsang tea
1 cup sweet vermouth, preferably Cinzano
Combine the tea and sweet vermouth and let steep for 4 hours, then strain out the solids.